Monday, July 25, 2011

Babysitters

Babysitters in a hot topic and can make some people mad lol. I think these girl now a day are over priced and under worked. I had a friend tell me the other day she paid someone 10 dollars an hour and came home and found the girl asleep on the couch and a huge mess of toys. When I babysat back in the day. I charged 2 dollars per kid and I cleaned up MY mess and then some. I had people fighting over me. So I must had been doing something right.
10 dollars a kid would cost me 50 bucks an hour just to go out WOW that's 100 dollars for a movie. NO THANK YOU I could take them to a good time out for that rate. At lest there they have there CPR certificate and schooling in child development. and they can make a mess somewhere else I don't have to clean. Here are there rates see how your sitter stacks up.
yes they have a membership fee but I found a deal on a web site for that. 0-23 is 10 dollars. 2-12 is 8 for the frist child and 5 for each additional child. lunch 4 dinner 5.50 so my five kids would be 38 if we came after dinner. WOW cheaper then that over priced sitter.
The reason these girls are getting that much is because we are paying it (well I'm not). I had a sitter tell me once I did not pay her enough. She had to wait until we got paid again to get the rest. When was the last time you went to a job and you said OK I would like 10 dollars an hour o and by the way I drove from across town so give me a little extra for gas. They work for you lay it out up front if they wont accept those terms move onto the next person. If everyone stops using the over priced sitters maybe they will get the hint. Now i have five kids I would be willing to pay 10 dollars an hour which I think is fare. I would make sure they our feed. Baylee is there to help. Call me cheap but why should I have to pay more because you over pay your sitter.
Preschool teachers don't even make that much and they are educating your child. I have a friend she is 15 she is looking to start babysitting and well if I use her and pay her 10 dollars an hour she would be exciting with that. Because one she wants to be with my kids and 2 she would know any different. I should not have to pay 80 dollars to have a night away from my children. The other option is swapping babysitting with friends but I have 5 kids and no one is really jumping at watching them. So say you have 2 kids paying at 2 dollars an hour per kid, so your like if I'm gone 2 hours that's only 8 dollars wow who is going to want to do that. Well more then likely you wont be gone only 2 hours by the time you drive there and back so your up to 12 for 3 hours you could tip her for cleaning or ask a friend that has one kid if they want to bring there child over to combine babysitting. Then your both gone 3 hours and you both end up paying 20 each that's 40 dollars for 3 hours that's a little over 13 dollars an hour. Not bad pay..
Bottom line is remember they work for you and you hire them. If your house keeper tried to raise there price to something outrages what would you do FIRE them and find someone else.
Well OK maybe I am just cheap. But why should I have to pay 50 dollars an hour. I would love to hear your thoughts on this. remember this is a no judge zone. also if anyone wants my friends number I would be happy to give it to you. she is a very sweet young lady.

5 comments:

  1. $10/kid/hour is RIDICULOUS! I personally pay $10/hour. That is the price I set when the twins were 6 months old. That was a lot of work...and they still are. And yes, I've come home to a babysitter sleeping on the couch...but it's usually like 2 in the morning...lol...and my sitters always clean up their messes and then some...we actually have to tell her not to do dishes and whatnot...LOL How much I pay when they grow up a bit will definately differ. And, If I'm going to be gone longer than 5 hours, we work out a deal...one rate for so many hours. ---Billie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only paid for a baby sitter once and we have always had regular date nights. It is getting a bit harder to find someone to swap with. We have started doing at home dates after the kids go to bed. It is funny that you bring this up because a neighbor girl just brought us her "resume" and she starts at $6 an hour. I was going to offer her $10 to come and play with the kids while I get stuff done. That way I can see how she interacts with my kiddos and I can decide if we want to try an evening date or not. Sitters are definitely not an easy topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) I think 10/kid is crazy as well. I think if you have 2 or more kids 10/hr is fair...and if if it's daytime and they are awake and need feeding, bathing ect I think 12/hr is fair for 2 kids or 5 kids...I am one who is not cheap when it comes to sitter...and that is because when I find one I like, I keep them...and I think it's money well spent to have happy kids and peace of mind. That's my .02 :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of $10/kid/hr, unless there's only one kid. I wouldn't think a sitter who said her rate doubled w/ 2 kids, etc would have a lot of sitting jobs, so if they want to charge that, fine with me. Unemployed babysitter! We paid $10/hr with one child, but with two, we've only bumped up our pay to $12/hr. Our sitters clean up after the kids, feed them dinner, etc. It seems reasonable to me, but no, I'd never pay $20/hr for 2 kids. Not in this area, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never paid for a babysitter except my niece and I just give her what ever I have lol

    ReplyDelete